Updated: Jun 7, 2021
I am known for taking a perfectly good recipe and adding an unexpected twist to it! Though I love a classic dish, I also find joy in trying something new, especially when it comes to adding fresh spices like jalapeños.
Jalapeños are great to add to dishes, not only for their flavor, but because they contain capsaicin, a compound which is incredibly beneficial to supporting weight loss, weight loss, pain relief, and improved heart health. Therefore, trying them in any new dish is guaranteed to boost it’s nutritional value and give some more flavor to your meals.
For those that have never thought of adding jalapeño and watermelon to their slaw, they might be pleasantly surprised to find this dish is more than they imagined and exactly what they needed.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serving: 3-4 individuals
1 package of shredded cabbage and carrots
2 c chopped kale
1 c cubed watermelon(1/2")
1 thinly sliced jalapeño*
¼ c chopped roasted almonds
⅓ c red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp monk fruit sugar
1. Create your dressing first, heat up your vinegar for 10-20 seconds in the microwave then add salt and sugar.
2. Whisk until the granules are dissolved, then add oil and black pepper.
3. If you haven't, dice your watermelon into smaller bite sized cubes.
4. Thinly slice your jalapeño.
5. Toss the package of shredded cabbage and carrots, watermelon, and jalapeños together, then pour over your dressing.
6. Set in the fridge for an hour before serving for dressing to set in.
7. Before serving, top with roasted almonds.
*deseed if you do not enjoy extra spice