So we know this is not traditional out of the box stuffing but it is absolutely incredible. The mushrooms, apples, and fresh herbs really make this dish incredibly flavorful and worth seconds.
Using this dish as a base for a turkey bowl the next day also hit the spot for us!
Be sure to chop and roast everything the night before to help with reducing the amount of prep work for Thanksgiving day!
1 loaf gluten free bread(can be sliced) diced
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp poultry/stuffing seasoning
1 large leek, (white stalk only) thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 pounds baby portobello mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
1 fuji/gala apple, cored and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and sage
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups bone broth
¼ cup chopped parsley and thyme as garnish (optional)
***Preheat the oven to 375°F.
1. Place the bread cubes & pecans on a large sheet pan, drizzle with a ¼ cup of olive oil, season with poultry/stuffing seasoning and salt, and toss to coat.
2. Bake until golden brown about 15 minutes.
3. Add a tbsp of the olive oil to a large skillet. Add the leek, red onion, and garlic cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Next add the bell pepper, celery, and apples and mushrooms. Add the fresh herbs and white wine, cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the bone broth, bread, and pecans mix well until entirely coated.
5. Cook for 30 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.