There are some mornings when I am going out for a big bike trip or a long run and I need breakfast snack that will support me with the proper protein I need. Previously, I would eat protein bars from the store, but when I saw the ingredients that were in them,I had to ask myself, “Is there a better way to make a wholesome protein bar?”
It turns out that I could make something that was not simply a bland protein bar, but more like a health cookie. (My friends lovingly refer to them as “breakfast brownies”.) With this snack, you get a guiltless snack with all the nutrients for your jam packed day and it tastes amazing! Did we also mention it was Paleo?
150g almond flour
100g tapioca flour
100g gluten free flour
80g whey protein
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp monk fruit sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp Enjoy Life Chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. In a stand mixer, add almond flour, tapioca flour, gluten free flour, whey protein, salt, baking soda, and monk fruit sugar and stir.
3. Add eggs and vanilla to the flour mix.
4. Mix on low until a crumbly textured dough begins to form. If your dough is still a bit sticky, you can add a tbsp of almond flour. If your dough is too dry add a tsp of alternative milk. You can knead your dough to form a 3 inch wide loaf that is 1 inch thick.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Pull out of the oven and let sit for 8-10 minutes, slice one inch thick and lay on to the side of the cookie.
7. Turn the oven down to 250*F and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
8. Flip the cookies over and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
9. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes to cool.
How did you like your breakfast brownies? Did you share them with friends or family? Share with us in the comments below!