Updated: Jan 12
We love power bowls in our house...we, well I guess I mean I, enjoying throwing every veggie left the fridge into a bowl, adding a grain and a protein then topping with a yummy sauce!!
The peanut sauce in this bowl is one of our go-to's as well as the fresh herbs are incredibly refreshing! These bowls can easily meet your macro needs for the final meal of the day.
Need more protein? Add extra chicken breast...Need some extra fat? Pour on the peanut sauce...Really really hungry but are limited on carbs? Hold the grain and pile on the yummy veggies!!
Power bowls are also perfect for meal prepping, they stay fresh for a few days and you can mix and match the flavors by swapping the sauces out to keep your pallet intrigued!
For the peanut sauce:
3 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 lime)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tbsp monk fruit sweetener
1/2 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic paste
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
For the bowls:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
2 tbsp sliced fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Lime wedges, for serving
1. Add all the ingredients for the peanut sauce in a mason jar, seal with a lid nice and tight...shake, shake, shake until the sauce is fully combined!
2. Heat quinoa and water in a sauce pan, cover with a lid and let cook for 12-15 minutes, set aside and allow to cool.
3. In a sauté pan heat a tbsp of olive oil on medium heat and add chicken plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes stirring constantly until chicken is fully cooked, set aside.
4. While quinoa and chicken cook I like to start chopping and slicing my vegetables:
chop cilantro and mint
5. Assembly time, start with a layer of quinoa, top it with all of your veggies, then nestle in a serving of chicken and sprinkle with cilantro and mint. Strategically place your lime for a perfect photo opp.