Buying pre-made is often much easier and for those working multiple jobs with a family and likely juggling crazy schedules it could be the better option than stopping for fast food. But I will say that when you buy your breakfast meats its VERY important to remember that they are packed with unnecessary items, they are easy to make, easy to freeze, and taste 100x better.
Sausage is typically made with pork and is very high in fat, leaving your stomach greasy until lunch which isn't desirable to most. After messing with numerous combinations to keep the flavor, keep the sausage from being dry, and be a simplistic recipe we found that by mixing pork and turkey it makes a lower fat sausage that has a great flavor and packs protein.
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1 tbsp sage
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp granulated onion
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp crushed fennel
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch red chili flakes-optional
**If baking -preheat oven to 425*F
1. Using a large mixing bowl, add the ground pork and turkey then mix well.
2. Add all the spices to the mixing bowl with ground meat, mix thoroughly.
3. Measure out 2 oz portions, roll into a ball and then flatten into a patty.
4. If you are cooking immediately, place on a lined baking sheet. If you are freezing, stack between parchment squares in a freezer safe container.
5. Bake for roughly 10-15 minutes, until the interior meat is 165*F.